Barb Bliss

How's the weather in your neck of the woods?

3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My nighttime visitors are usually limited to Thumper.  Maybe if we could get some more wolves, there'd be fewer Thumpers.

We had 3 rabbits in the yard yesterday afternoon. Chased 'em off so my dogs would stop cursing. A little while later they were back at the cursing. I couldn't find any rabbits. Put my calmer dog on his long line so he could yell outside and chase off whatever was hanging around, so the cursing would come to an end.

Turned out to be like, at least 6 deer back behind the trees on the far end of the yard. Never had that many at once during the day!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zoe said:

We had 3 rabbits in the yard yesterday afternoon. Chased 'em off so my dogs would stop cursing. A little while later they were back at the cursing. I couldn't find any rabbits. Put my calmer dog on his long line so he could yell outside and chase off whatever was hanging around, so the cursing would come to an end.

Turned out to be like, at least 6 deer back behind the trees on the far end of the yard. Never had that many at once during the day!

My buddy put up an electric fence around his gardens.

8 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My buddy put up an electric fence around his gardens.

It's crazy, the apple tree isn't anywhere near dropping apples yet - which is when they usually come around. We haven't really started our garden fully yet, just started digging it out. Have some starters in the humid mud room to get them going, but nothing in the ground.

We put up netting and stuff last year and will do that again.

My garden is still covered in black plastic in hopes to curb the bermuda grass invasion.  I am also working on the rolly polly (pill bug) invasion. I was informed about crushing egg shells and putting them below my strawberries in hopes that the darned things stop eating the berries.  We shall see if it works this year.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

My garden is still covered in black plastic in hopes to curb the bermuda grass invasion.  I am also working on the rolly polly (pill bug) invasion. I was informed about crushing egg shells and putting them below my strawberries in hopes that the darned things stop eating the berries.  We shall see if it works this year.

Crushed sea shells work really well and don't decompose nearly as fast.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Crushed sea shells work really well and don't decompose nearly as fast.

Egg shells are easier to get ahold of but will keep that in mind. I think I have a bag of seashells from the last coast trip that are sitting around doing nothing.

4 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Egg shells are easier to get ahold of but will keep that in mind. I think I have a bag of seashells from the last coast trip that are sitting around doing nothing.

Be sure to wash and boil them first.  Will remove the stink from them and also remove any salt.  Or you can buy them in a box.  It's usually called "diatomaceous earth".

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Be sure to wash and boil them first.  Will remove the stink from them and also remove any salt.  Or you can buy them in a box.  It's usually called "diatomaceous earth".

I have heard of it, and thought to give it a shot (before being told about the egg shells). Didn't realize it was crushed sea shells.

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

I have heard of it, and thought to give it a shot (before being told about the egg shells). Didn't realize it was crushed sea shells.

And rock.  You basically want sharp edges.  They also have some stuff (can't remember the name) that basically dehydrates the bugs, but takes too long for my taste.  I'd rather they cut themselves open crawling to my plants as opposed to letting them chomp for a while before they die.  If you go to an upscale gardening catalog or nursery, you can also get bugs you can add to your soil that do nothing but eat the slugs/larva that eat your plants.  I did that about 15 years ago, and I still see them in my soil.  Some of the best money I ever spent.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

And rock.  You basically want sharp edges.  They also have some stuff (can't remember the name) that basically dehydrates the bugs, but takes too long for my taste.  I'd rather they cut themselves open crawling to my plants as opposed to letting them chomp for a while before they die.  If you go to an upscale gardening catalog or nursery, you can also get bugs you can add to your soil that do nothing but eat the slugs/larva that eat your plants.  I did that about 15 years ago, and I still see them in my soil.  Some of the best money I ever spent.

Thankfully we don't have any slugs.  The pill bugs do plenty of work on their own. The other day the entire side of our white house was black and crawling. Never seen so many of the darned things.

Just now, WxCougar said:

Thankfully we don't have any slugs.  The pill bugs do plenty of work on their own. The other day the entire side of our white house was black and crawling. Never seen so many of the darned things.

That big of an infestation?  I'd go nuclear and spray with insecticides that target them.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

That big of an infestation?  I'd go nuclear and spray with insecticides that target them.

It's crazy like that every year.  When I talk to our pest control for my work place I do plan to ask them if they have something for pill bugs. Not sure if there is anything, but worth the ask.

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

It's crazy like that every year.  When I talk to our pest control for my work place I do plan to ask them if they have something for pill bugs. Not sure if there is anything, but worth the ask.

Probably something like sevin.

• Like 1

Well, so far the storm has been worse than the forecast earlier today.  It's back up to snowmagedon proportions.  It took out my satellite dish while I was gone. 

Here's coming back from the bowling banquet a few minutes ago.  That's a lot of snow considering it was supposed to just be rain until 10 pm.  Somewhere between 4-6" already on the ground. So 4-6" + 7-15" still to come.  Yuck.

image.png.4753122e683ce6126a3abc9251e4723b.png

image.thumb.png.b4d6db8507f4a05e3a448ad020803e8c.png

• Sad 2