Barb Bliss

How's the weather in your neck of the woods?

On 3/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, RomyCat said:

I used to live in Florida and the humidity is mild compared to the Deep South, were it can hit you like a thick, sticky blanket making you totally miserable. I keep an air conditioner running all summer.  

Best combo if I could afford it would be live in the South during the winter and the North during the summer (except for brief northern visits in the winter so I can play in snow—which is rare down here).

When I did an internship in North Carolina for the summer, a local described the humidity there to me as "walking through blood". I found it to be rather accurate.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:15 AM, Barb Bliss said:

I can't breath well when it's really muggy.  At least 4 bouts of pneumonia (4 diagnosed, but probably a few others where I didn't go to the doctor) can do that to you. So no deep south for me. 

I actually don't mind snow.  It's just how long winter is that gets to me.  Global warming has definitely changed Minnesota's seasons, shortening it up by about a month, but still a month long er than I prefer now that I'm "more mature".  When I first moved here, it snowed the week before Halloween, and it didn't get above zero for 2 weeks at the beginning of December.  I wondered "Oh boy, what did I just do moving here?"  But on the plus side, that kind of weather had kept the riffraff down.  So much for that...

No pneumonia, but I gots the asthma - working in humid heat definitely gets to me a lot faster than dry heat does!

Also? the dryer it is, the less mosquitoes... and mosquitoes are the worst.

3 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

A nice -6°F this morning (WF -22°F) but a nice sunny day.

Oof da.  It will get up to 47 F today here in Minnie.

First real spring day, sunny with -12°F in the morning and 30°F in afternoon. :) 

But still some feet of snow cover lol :) 

29542161_1657877844268200_7933343570834777520_n.jpg.94ba09e021323da350131720305a4fe0.jpg

• Sad 1

Still have some snow cover here too, but with a protective coating of ice on it.  It got another layer of freezing rain on it overnight.

We got 8-9" of snow from Monday afternoon through the Tuesday overnight.  The city must be running low on snow removal money.  Not a whole lot of plowing was done other than the freeways and snow emergency routes.  The alley and side streets are super icy.

22 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

We got 8-9" of snow from Monday afternoon through the Tuesday overnight.  The city must be running low on snow removal money.  Not a whole lot of plowing was done other than the freeways and snow emergency routes.  The alley and side streets are super icy.

Oof sorry to hear that.  Is it particularly unusual for your neck of the woods to get a snow dump this late into the season?  I don’t think I could handle that after a long winter.  But, silver lining, it sounds like a good excuse to do some board gaming and enjoy some gin over the weekend!

1 minute ago, LuckyIke said:

Oof sorry to hear that.  Is it particularly unusual for your neck of the woods to get a snow dump this late into the season?  I don’t think I could handle that after a long winter.  But, silver lining, it sounds like a good excuse to do some board gaming and enjoy some gin over the weekend!

There is no normal anymore.  When I first moved  here, this wouldn't be unusual.  That's why they built "The Dump" for the Twins to play in.  When other places had April showers bring May flowers, we had May showers bring June flowers. In gardening terms, we used to be zone 3 (and now we are zone 4).  Global warming has changed that.  But I can say that within the last decade we've had snow falls in May.

• Sad 1

You don't need to be sad @LuckyIke.  The last couple of years, we had some short winters/early springs.  I just see this as a little payback from Mother Nature.

Fair enough, @Barb Bliss . At least it balances out from year to year. Mother Nature’s payback in California tends to take a decidedly burnier approach.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, LuckyIke said:

Fair enough, @Barb Bliss . At least it balances out from year to year. Mother Nature’s payback in California tends to take a decidedly burnier approach.  

Ahahahaha.. yeah. My hometown was one of the ones on fire before Christmas! And then the mudslides. Still can't beat being 15 minutes from the mountains and 15 minutes from the ocean at any given time, though.

How bad does the weather have to be in the Midwest this weekend that Minnesota moved its Saturday (noon) game to Thursday 6 pm (~43 degrees and falling), and Wisconsin just cancelled their "spring game" for Friday 6 pm all together?  Both stated safety concerns for the fans.

10 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

I'm so jealous. I really really would love some snow.

You can have this crap!  Why don't  you come up and shovel this stuff.

The storm is here, but just the border, a few snow and icy rain. Schools are closed for the day.

30726227_1679491998773451_2632310521423986688_n.thumb.jpg.74eb54566ab41beda6ddedf84ac139a8.jpg30708668_1679491902106794_3193021701667422208_n.jpg.8235cdd1c575824e3cb3c0e7fe9fbd42.jpg

Could be the second big storm passing south of me, 'cause we have still a lot snow from the winter. :) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

The storm is here, but just the border, a few snow and icy rain. Schools are closed for the day.

Could be the second big storm passing south of me, 'cause we have still a lot snow from the winter. :) 

A lot of school closures here today too.  That or late openings.  Last thing schools want is a bus accident with a bus full of kids.

15 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

I wore my Santa skull sweater today in faux celebration.

This winter wonderland is only acceptable if we get another set of holidays.

• Haha 2