Barb Bliss

How's the weather in your neck of the woods?

15 hours ago, WxCougar said:

We are lucky, two feet of snow just north of us and 30mph wind. We have just the wind and about 7 inches. At least the wind is blowing the snow off the roof for before the next system hits us tonight.

Looks like 2-4" today (snowing like mad now), and according to the grocery checkout gal, getting another wallop Tuesday.  Looks like 4-9" on Tuesday (at least so far). 

today is -14c and feels like -27c with the wind chill. Winds were crazy all weekend sounded like the house was going to topple over both friday and saturday night. Its down to only 29km/h now. And they are saying between .5-1 foot of snow on wednesday. yay...

4 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

today is -14c and feels like -27c with the wind chill. Winds were crazy all weekend sounded like the house was going to topple over both friday and saturday night. Its down to only 29km/h now. And they are saying between .5-1 foot of snow on wednesday. yay...

I've -29°C this morning. -34°C with the winds and should have less snow than you. 

The large difference between the standing temperature and the wind chill makes it shocking if your in cover from the wind or it dies for a second its cold but bearable then you get hit by the wind and its like WTF just happened. I kept the kids inside to wait for the bus we just watched for it from the window as we are on a hill and can see it coming up the road.

• Like 1

I think we've got some of your snow coming tomorrow @Barb Bliss. Looks like 4-7" is what they're saying for us at this moment. Fortunately we got rid of most of the last couple storms, so we have room for it.

28 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think we've got some of your snow coming tomorrow @Barb Bliss. Looks like 4-7" is what they're saying for us at this moment. Fortunately we got rid of most of the last couple storms, so we have room for it.

This weather is beginning to tick me off.  We used to be 1.5' behind the average amount of snowfall (2 weeks ago).  Now we're only 2" behind.  For those bad at math, that's an average of 10" per week.  We got about 6" (2" over the top forecasted prediction) yesterday. 

Our Massive Darkness session got goofed up due to traveling.  Jaemus and Roland couldn't make it as the roads were trashed with accidents everywhere.  Drew made it (only 20 minutes late - he must have left really early), so we ended up playing a one-off.  The sweetheart shoveled out my front before he left.  They are thinking the worst of the stuff forecasted tonight to be south and east of us.  Maybe another 2-4", but could be as much as 10".

52 minutes ago, Adam said:

p.s. Another snow storm is due on Thursday.  I have about 1.75' of snow on the roof and the weather is warming up.  For those of you from more temperate areas, that means ice dams.  Last time I had my roof shoveled off (about 10 years ago), it cost me over $700.  Not liking the idea of spending probably $1k to shovel it off, so I'm going to head out over lunch (and probably a long lunch) with my roof rake to get the lower roof lines raked off.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

p.s. Another snow storm is due on Thursday.  I have about 1.75' of snow on the roof and the weather is warming up.  For those of you from more temperate areas, that means ice dams.  Last time I had my roof shoveled off (about 10 years ago), it cost me over $700.  Not liking the idea of spending probably $1k to shovel it off, so I'm going to head out over lunch (and probably a long lunch) with my roof rake to get the lower roof lines raked off.

Yeah, looks like another round end of this week here too. Ice dams are no fun. Fortunately after the last big storm we got, it warmed up quick enough to clear all my roof snow off.

5 hours ago, Adam said:

Yeah, looks like another round end of this week here too. Ice dams are no fun. Fortunately after the last big storm we got, it warmed up quick enough to clear all my roof snow off.

I got the first story roof eaves raked.  Had to tromp through snow over my knees, but it's done now.  It's windy enough, I got covered with blown snow from head to tail, and had to come in and take a shower/change clothes when I was done. 

They revised the forecast again.  We're back to 4-8" during the next storm tonight/tomorrow.  In the back, I'm running out of places to put the shoveled/blown snow.

25 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I got the first story roof eaves raked.  Had to tromp through snow over my knees, but it's done now.  It's windy enough, I got covered with blown snow from head to tail, and had to come in and take a shower/change clothes when I was done. 

They revised the forecast again.  We're back to 4-8" during the next storm tonight/tomorrow.  In the back, I'm running out of places to put the shoveled/blown snow.

That's why you don't need a snow blower... you need a flamethrower.

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

That would be more fun, but I'd probably either kill myself slipping on ice or I'd burn my house down.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I have used a blow torch to remove weeds 😈

9 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I have used a blow torch to remove weeds 😈

Hmm.. I have some stuff that keeps growing back no matter what I do.  Perhaps I should try that :)

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

Hmm.. I have some stuff that keeps growing back no matter what I do.  Perhaps I should try that :)

If it's somewhere that you don't ever want anything to grow (e.g. cracks in the driveway) salting the ground helps keeping something from growing back.  The nuclear option is white gas, but don't do that were someone might throw a cig butt.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

That would be more fun, but I'd probably either kill myself slipping on ice or I'd burn my house down.

We were just talking about using the weed dragon for the snow and figured that same thing would happen.

• Like 1

With just under 2 feet of snow on the ground, we reached 49 degrees today. Melting quite well but we expect rain this evening and back to below freezing overnight. I do not look forward to the roads tomorrow...

Edited by WxCougar

Back in Miami. Just spent 8d on the Carnival Horizon cruise ship. Online fiends got married onboard. Mrs. Zoxe was the maid if honor. Was truly a nerdfest where most of the wedding party were online gamer friends.

One afternoon, we took over a corner of Lido Deck and played D&D5E. Huge party with 10 players and 1.5 GMs and a stack of lvl5 pregens to choose from. My BoRo DMG bone box got universal approval, and the DMG dice rolled hot for me all day. At the end, my ranger (Steve the Ranger) dropped the big bad with a nat20 and some high damage rolls.

Most other cruisers had no idea what we were up to. But, we had some knowing glances, smiles, and headnods from those around us. I got a kick out of some college age guys that were stuck playing yahtzee with their grandparents that watched us set up with great interest.

It's 27 deg back home as I sit here in shorts and sip coffee. Good thing I have jeans and a parka in my main bag.

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Back in Miami. Just spent 8d on the Carnival Horizon cruise ship. Online fiends got married onboard. Mrs. Zoxe was the maid if honor. Was truly a nerdfest where most of the wedding party were online gamer friends.

One afternoon, we took over a corner of Lido Deck and played D&D5E. Huge party with 10 players and 1.5 GMs and a stack of lvl5 pregens to choose from. My BoRo DMG bone box got universal approval, and the DMG dice rolled hot for me all day. At the end, my ranger (Steve the Ranger) dropped the big bad with a nat20 and some high damage rolls.

Most other cruisers had no idea what we were up to. But, we had some knowing glances, smiles, and headnods from those around us. I got a kick out of some college age guys that were stuck playing yahtzee with their grandparents that watched us set up with great interest.

It's 27 deg back home as I sit here in shorts and sip coffee. Good thing I have jeans and a parka in my main bag.

Online fiends?  Sounds dangerous.  And Mrs. Zoxe is maid if honor?  Oh my.  

p.s. Mrs. Zoxe would be the matron if honor 😀 

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zoxe said:

That is really awesome! Minus the returning to the cold part.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Online fiends?  Sounds dangerous.  And Mrs. Zoxe is maid if honor?  Oh my.  

p.s. Mrs. Zoxe would be the matron if honor 😀 

It was a blast. 😁

We got home last night well after midnight. Some of the party got stuck and is still trying to get home. 

14 hours ago, Zoxe said:

It was a blast. 😁

We got home last night well after midnight. Some of the party got stuck and is still trying to get home. 

Glad you had a good time.  As far as friends getting stuck, at least it was on the way home and not on the way down.

• Thanks 1

Another 4-8" of snow on Tuesday night/Wednesday.  Then another blast forecasted for Friday.  Sometimes I miss having a man around the house.  Sometimes...

• Like 1