Barb Bliss

How's the weather in your neck of the woods?

It's 45 degrees today (in February in Minnesota), and I have my upstairs windows wide open!  Woot!  I'd almost forgot what fresh air smelled like (I hadn't left the house in 5 days).

Edited by Barb Bliss

14 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

It's 45 degrees today (in February in Minnesota), and I have my upstairs windows wide open!  Woot!  I'd almost forgot what fresh air smelled like (I hadn't left the house in 5 days).

Meanwhile it’s a frigid 55 in Los Angeles and I’m freezing my butt off! 

West Coast living has made me soft.

• Haha 2

it's 48 here, but with 20 mph very cold winds. We've been windy for a little over a week now (gusts up to probably 65 mph at times), so it looks nice and sunny through the window, but the wind makes it quite cold and it cuts through your clothes. This winter has been fairly mild overall though, I've been able to get out and golf four rounds so far this year. My house is on the 14th tee, so the pull is strong when I see the golf course out my window every afternoon...

3 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

Meanwhile it’s a frigid 55 in Los Angeles and I’m freezing my butt off! 

West Coast living has made me soft.

LuckyIke Don’t lump the whole coast in with you. It’s delightful and sunny at 55 today in central California! Perfect moving weather. 

30 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

LuckyIke Don’t lump the whole coast in with you. It’s delightful and sunny at 55 today in central California! Perfect moving weather. 

That’s fair. When I lived on the East Coast or in Monterey I would have loved this weather. Southern California spoiled me.

6 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

34°F after the snow storm lol :) 

28277027_1629774690411849_527463707313257447_n.jpg.274d08870771dc18ed111bf257823525.jpg

That looks Minneapolis on Sunday morning!  Three consecutive snow storms dropped about 15 inches of snow in a 3.5 day span.

We didn't have a snowflake on the ground Wednesday, then got something like 5-9 inches yesterday afternoon to this morning.

All the trees and bushes in my yard are bowing into the ground... except the 50+ year old pine. The other pines are bending and weeping, but the super old one has somehow shaken off all the snow that's landed on it. It's kinda wild. (It's not in this photo.)

And in the lower left corner is uh.. our bonfire circle with stumps around it for seating.

march snow.jpg

• Like 2

Got out to play nine holes this morning, a little chilly (mid-upper 40's) but didn't need to turn on the heater in my golf cart.

7 hours ago, Ian Coyle said:

Got out to play nine holes this morning, a little chilly (mid-upper 40's) but didn't need to turn on the heater in my golf cart.

I hate  you so much right now.  Supposed to get 36 straight hours of snow from 6 am until tomorrow evening at 6 pm.

Ah, here is the Deep South, flowers are blooming and birds are singing as the sun rises. Most likely it will be in the 70’s, and I will be wearing a short sleeve to work and sandles on my feet. The trees right outside my house look beautiful with their white blooms. 

43 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Ah, here is the Deep South, flowers are blooming and birds are singing as the sun rises. Most likely it will be in the 70’s, and I will be wearing a short sleeve to work and sandles on my feet. The trees right outside my house look beautiful with their white blooms. 

Remember that feeling because when it turns hot and muggy, I'll be feeling what you are feeling now.  :-)

• Sad 1

Looks like we've missed the first part of the snow, but there is a glaze of frozen rain on everything.  I'm glad I'm working from home!

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Looks like we've missed the first part of the snow, but there is a glaze of frozen rain on everything.  I'm glad I'm working from home!

Freezing rain moved out.   Snow is swirling in.  Looks like the storm has squatted like a toad and just is spinning.  Around 4 pm is now when the snow squall lines should arrive.  About the same time as my DMG boxes.  I hope the pumpkin dice box doesn't freeze.  Gourd Grief.

image.png.a26b290344612b224f9b0b1672633e0b.png

6 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I miss living in Florida! I even am one of the lucky ones that actually likes the humidity

3 minutes ago, Peter Pickle said:

Meanwhile, I think I might golf today after work...

After work I'm thinking of uncorking a nice merlot and soak in my tub (with fancy bath bomb I got on KS).  Then snuggle in front of the fireplace.

16 minutes ago, Peter Pickle said:

I miss living in Florida! I even am one of the lucky ones that actually likes the humidity

Gross!!!!!! Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

humidity is simply the worst :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zoe said:

Gross!!!!!! Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

humidity is simply the worst :(

Haha, I find that is the common refrain. I suffer from dry weather allergies and so I found great relief when I lived in the south. I do understand that those with certain types of hair (and hair styles) would find the humidity frustrating based on what it does to that hair.

monica GIF

1 minute ago, Peter Pickle said:

Haha, I find that is the common refrain. I suffer from dry weather allergies and so I found great relief when I lived in the south. I do understand that those with certain types of hair (and hair styles) would find the humidity frustrating based on what it does to that hair.

monica GIF

Oh my gosh, we're like the complete opposite, then! I do have some allergy troubles in the fall and winter due to dry indoor conditions and my having grown up in California... but this is also why the humidity and I don't get along. Dry heat is fine. YOU CAN ESCAPE IT. Humid heat destroys me and makes me a very unhappy camper! It haunts every inch of your existence, never leaving you in peace... Also why I prefer to be freezing over too hot. Blankets fix the former, nothing to do about the latter.

Don't actually mind what humidity does to my hair, though! Just makes it wavier/curlier.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Peter Pickle said:

I used to live in Florida and the humidity is mild compared to the Deep South, were it can hit you like a thick, sticky blanket making you totally miserable. I keep an air conditioner running all summer.  

Best combo if I could afford it would be live in the South during the winter and the North during the summer (except for brief northern visits in the winter so I can play in snow—which is rare down here).

Edited by RomyCat

11 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I used to live in Florida and the humidity is mild compared to the Deep South, were it can hit you like a thick, sticky blanket making you totally miserable. I keep an air conditioner running all summer.  

Best combo if I could afford it would be live in the South during the winter and the North during the summer (except for brief northern visits in the winter so I can play in snow—which is rare down here).

I can't breath well when it's really muggy.  At least 4 bouts of pneumonia (4 diagnosed, but probably a few others where I didn't go to the doctor) can do that to you. So no deep south for me. 

I actually don't mind snow.  It's just how long winter is that gets to me.  Global warming has definitely changed Minnesota's seasons, shortening it up by about a month, but still a month long er than I prefer now that I'm "more mature".  When I first moved here, it snowed the week before Halloween, and it didn't get above zero for 2 weeks at the beginning of December.  I wondered "Oh boy, what did I just do moving here?"  But on the plus side, that kind of weather had kept the riffraff down.  So much for that...