• Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
yatescory

Products with no lining?

So I've been thinking for a little while about what some of the dog might products might look like without a lining. Actually I think that some of the products might look better. For instance, the dragon trays and the component collectors. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever wondered this but I wonder if the lining is just necessary to help protect from wear and tear especially on the dragon trays. I just think the natural look of the wood might look better in some instances.

• Like 1

The problem with that is wooden rolling trays with no lining are very noisy. I have used non-lined boxes and other items as rolling trays before, it can be a bit distracting. As you mentioned the lining protects the wood as well and I would hate to see my beautiful Dog Might products all dinged up. If you didn’t plan on using the dragon tray for rolling dice then that would be a different story. 

• Like 1

They don't have to be as perfect with the bottom if the cover it up too.  Also consider that the skirmish boxes have a metal plate put in so that minis with a magnet on the bottom stay upright.

Barb, you are right, the skirmish boxes it probably wouldn't work.  I don't think some of their products would work without a lining.  I don't know if I agree or disagree about the noise thing...certainly there would be more noise without the lining but I'm not sure if that would bother me...actually I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.  After all I'm used to the sound of good old fashioned rolling on a table.  I definitely don't agree on it damaging the rolling tray or the coco though unless you are using metal dice and metal dice could do damage to lining too over time.  I have an old oak table that has no damage after rolling tons of dice on it and a lot of the DMG woods are stronger.  I still think the look of it might make it worth it.  

• Like 1

As I an using metal dice now as my favorite dice (got them from DMG), they can be VERY noisy on a normal table, plus I would be concerned about scratching a table with them (the D4 has very sharp points). I am currently using a prototype dice tower with felt lining from DMG for the dice and it works very well. Not loud and no worries about damaging tables, boards, or other surfaces.

• Like 1

Some of the smaller spaces are really hard to sand, leaving rough patches that drive our apprentices crazy trying to get them out. People who have CoCos probably can notice a slight texture change in the pockets from the edges and back. Felting can help with this problem but the number one reason we do it is because of metal dice. Metal dice can tear up any wood and are super noisy. The felt protects the wood and the metal dice from each other. If people want to use metal dice in my games they have to use a tray or dice tower, there's no way I'll let them roll on my table. I won't let the guys bring the big D20 boulder that we sell anymore. There's been too many injuries.... 

Although @yatescory I do love the idea of designing some more products that intentionally doesn't use felt so more wood can be shown.