DMG has been really knocking it out of the park with all the fancy woods cropping up for sale.  I thought I would start a thread for discussing all these new and unique woods most of us have never heard of, for general ogling, and for info about the merits of the finer lumber things in life.

The best source I've found for my personal research has been The Wood Database.  I particularly like it for checking out different images of the grain/color, hardness, and for sustainability (if the wood is listed on the CITES Appendices and/or the IUCN Red List).  As a bonus it lists what odor might fill the DMG workshop while they are working it (looking at you Bocote, you dill pickle-smelling beauty, you).

The Wood Database Link

Where do you guys like to go for your wood research?

• Like 1

I have also compiled a list of all the latest exotics we have seen DMG put out for sale lately.  Sorry if I missed any - sometimes those Dragon Sheaths go flying off the virtual shelves!  This way we have a list with pictures for posterity once these are no longer in stock for use to ogle during lunch breaks (admit it Barb, you know you do).

Rustic Rambutan  (Loganberry - Dimacarpus Longan - not in wood database)

1516119321_IMG_6926.JPG

Spalted Tamarind

1516985183_IMG_7118.jpg

Granadillo - not sure which species DMG uses

1514472097_IMG_6830.JPG

Bolivian Ironwood (perhaps Black Ironwood ?)

1516119435_IMG_6930.JPG

Sapele

1516119494_IMG_6932.JPG

Ziricote

1516972775_IMG_7066.JPG

Tasmanian Blackwood

1516119195_IMG_6923.JPG

Bloodwood

1513359020_IMG_6727.JPG

Katalox

1513185978_IMG_6707.JPG

Myrtle 

No pic - anyone have some myrtle-y goodness to show off?

Popcorn Maple - could not find a link

1516734024_IMG_7039.JPG

Marblewood

1516733951_IMG_7037.JPG

Koa

The top one is @ElysianPeace's piece from this thread .  Bottom one is Spalted Tamarind.  We are Tamarind Twins!

68B6D6FB-0DE5-4024-BB14-C8B612909F57.jpeg

Californian Claro Walnut

1516972958_IMG_7069.JPG

Patagonian Rosewood (Cebil / Curupay)

1516985129_IMG_7113.jpg

Buckeye

1516990450_IMG_7147.jpg

Black Limba

1516734688_IMG_7018.JPG

• Like 2

Of course, there's even more out there in the world!  In my internet rummaging and wandering I stumbled across some other woods that looked mighty interesting.  Perhaps some of these aren't suitable for our kind of gear, but perhaps our Viking Lumberjacks just haven't quaffed enough Viking Juice to give them a go yet. @Konas have any of these been used in the past?  

The images below are all from the Wood Database - Google Image searches will turn up good examples of finished products that may feature more interesting grain patterns.

Snakewood

Snakewood (bookmatched)

Tigerwood

Goncalo Alves (Astronium graveolens)

Ipe  - possible sustainability issues

Ipe (Tabebuia spp.)

Jatoba / Brazilian Cherry 

Jatoba (Hymenaea courbaril)

Not exotic really, but I am quite fond of Olive

Olive (Olea europaea)

Shedua / Ovangkol

image.jpeg.91d9f478998f916226e766e2581cf443.jpeg

T'zalam

Tzalam (Lysiloma latisiliquum)

Machiche

Machiche (Lonchocarpus spp.)

My favorites of the above are Snakewood, Shedua/Ovangkol, and Olive

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm interested in what people think about Black Limba. It's never been as popular as we thought it would be, but it's so cool. 

1 hour ago, Lindsey said:

I'm interested in what people think about Black Limba. It's never been as popular as we thought it would be, but it's so cool. 

Doesn't do much for me.  Neither does the buckeye (sorry @tgpumpkin)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindsey said:

I think it's just tough to find interesting enough grain patterns in the smaller pieces that DMG produces maybe. It's somewhat popular in the Acoustic guitar world as a veneer, but doesn't make good tone wood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindsey said:

I like the graining, but for the most part, I like the darker/redder woods.  It would probably take an exceptional piece to draw my interest.

I've always liked the Black/White Ebony as well. It's used quite a bit in the guitar market, again as a veneer, and can be quite beautiful.

Cocobolo is indeed beautiful, but it is probably hard to come by these days as it falls under the genus Dalbergia, which has import/export restrictions for conservation purposes.  I know guitar manufacturer Gibson has run into some issues with imported woods over the years,@Ian Coyle do you know some more about the raids they experienced?

@LuckyIke Yeah, they mostly got in trouble over Ebony and Rosewood though. I think they had some suppliers that ended up getting their wood from India and Madagascar and they ended up getting fined by the Feds. They did get some of the wood back from the raid and ended up making a special series of guitars from the wood that were basically a big f-u to the feds.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/06/news/companies/gibson-imports-wood/index.htm If you're interested

Edited by Ian Coyle

1 hour ago, Ian Coyle said:

This thread makes me miss the Log Blog! Mike's been slacking!

I think he has a legit excuse.  Once he gets my cocos in my hand, then we can get on his case.

• Like 2

We needed this thread! I forgot about the wood database so sometimes I’ll just google the name and either stare blankly at boards or go into full on research mode.

Black Limba is pretty! As far as woods I think there are going to be some that just aren’t my cup of tea, but I can see how they could be someone else’s. Ie Tasmanian Blackwood 

I stalk Dogmight on multiple platforms so I just pulled the pic of figured myrtle off of Facebook. It’s so gorgeous but it got swiped up by someone before the emails went out. So I had to ask Dogmight about it.

459E73CB-3793-45A6-AFB8-9055494A2284.jpeg

Edited by ElysianPeace
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, LuckyIke said:

Of course, there's even more out there in the world!  In my internet rummaging and wandering I stumbled across some other woods that looked mighty interesting.  Perhaps some of these aren't suitable for our kind of gear, but perhaps our Viking Lumberjacks just haven't quaffed enough Viking Juice to give them a go yet. @Konas have any of these been used in the past?  

The images below are all from the Wood Database - Google Image searches will turn up good examples of finished products that may feature more interesting grain patterns.

Snakewood

Snakewood (bookmatched)

Tigerwood

Goncalo Alves (Astronium graveolens)

Ipe  - possible sustainability issues

Ipe (Tabebuia spp.)

Jatoba / Brazilian Cherry 

Jatoba (Hymenaea courbaril)

Not exotic really, but I am quite fond of Olive

Olive (Olea europaea)

Shedua / Ovangkol

image.jpeg.91d9f478998f916226e766e2581cf443.jpeg

T'zalam

Tzalam (Lysiloma latisiliquum)

Machiche

Machiche (Lonchocarpus spp.)

My favorites of the above are Snakewood, Shedua/Ovangkol, and Olive

image.jpeg

Great work and welcome to your new addiction. There are a lot of things to consider before buying and creating with these. First off, size. Snakewood, for instance, is nearly impossible to find in any workable widths and it is hardly ever Kiln Dried, which we avoid like the plague. Any wood that you can only find as "turning squares" is usually too thin to use (only 2") and is usually air dried. Lumber that isn't kiln dried may not be usable for a year or more as it dries. Oh, and Shedua is another name for Benge.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, LuckyIke said:

Cocobolo is indeed beautiful, but it is probably hard to come by these days as it falls under the genus Dalbergia, which has import/export restrictions for conservation purposes.  I know guitar manufacturer Gibson has run into some issues with imported woods over the years,@Ian Coyle do you know some more about the raids they experienced?

We will never have CoCobolo in our shop again! NEVER! Last time we used it, over half the shop broke out in rashes, including myself!!!!

• Sad 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, Barb Bliss said:

I think he has a legit excuse.  Once he gets my cocos in my hand, then we can get on his case.

I will get back to it soon, I promise! @Ian Coyle I know I am slacking. Putting out 500 CoCos a month takes a little bit of my energy and time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Konas said:

We will never have CoCobolo in our shop again! NEVER! Last time we used it, over half the shop broke out in rashes, including myself!!!!

Yikes! That’s a good reason to boycott. 

I’m glad to hear that Shedua is Benge, as I quite like it and have a benge CoCo coming.

That’s too bad about snakewood, but explains why most of the uses I saw where small items/veneers.

19 hours ago, Ian Coyle said:

I know Mike said "no way" to Cocobolo, but dang it makes for some stunning instruments...

daniel_turner_cocobolo_guitar4.jpg

That's just because Mike is super Allergic to it. I was lucky enough to grab a cocobolo dice chest (back when I was just a fan) before it started killing everyone in the shop :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love the buckeye wood.  I'd buy a castle tray for the right price.  I think that it has a really unique color.  I hope you guys will use it more often.

• Like 2