Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RomyCat

New games you have played

Recommended Posts

During November-January,  a lot of games have flooded into my home. Here is a quick run down of our experience.

Kickstarter:

  • Triplock -great components, innovative gameplay
  • Kitchen Rush -we loved this game. Played it over and over. Whose turn is it to wash the dishes? I'm busy buying veggies.
  • Clans of Caledonia -an instant classic Euro
  • Christmas Tree: The Decorating -A mini-game I bought cause my sister enjoys holiday theme games
  • Gloomhaven -awesome game that lives up to the hype
  • Tao Long -great components but the game play was confusing for us. I need to watch a how-to-play video before playing again

Christmas gifts for/from my family & Secret Santa:

  • Burgle Bros -we had a blast with this one. Stealing has never been so much fun (note: normally I'm not a thief)
  • Charterstone -we beat the campaign, enjoying the experience
  • Codenames Duet -We have played this one 25 times, only winning 5 games. Fun but tough
  • Cottage Garden -a cute fun game by one of my favorite game designers Uwe Rosenberg. It has cats!!!!! Enough said.
  • A Feast for Odin -Love the depth and theme of this game which is also by Uwe Rosenberg
  • Fresco -nice painting theme, but not balance for 2 players, though the box says 2 players can play it
  • Hive -a quick game that sort of feels like chess. I lost every game I played so far :-(
  • Kingdomino -fun, quick game that should be in everyone's library
  • Magic Maze -tons of fun...but you have to keep you eye on that timer...Hey, sis, why are you banging that red pawn this time?
  • One Deck Dungeon -I've not played this one yet, but Zenith has enjoyed it solo. I do like the all female cast of characters.
  • Photosynthesis -Fun game with new concepts I have not seen before. I love seeing a forest grow before my eyes.
  • Rocky Road a la Mode -A quick, fun game. You should always play this game while eating ice cream :-) 
  • T.I.M.E. Stories -Very innovative. We enjoyed the 1 scenario that comes with it, but once you beat it, you don't keep playing until you buy another scenario.
  • Sagrada -Fun, light hearten game we enjoyed. Awesome dice.)
Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These have shown up.  I've received a shipping notice for Grimm Forest.

  • Massive Darkness
  • Gloomhaven
  • Maximum Apocalypse
  • Triplock 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last week I got to bring out Grimm Forest at the FLGS.  There was much oohing and aaahing over the component quality.  It is a light game that doesn’t require a ton of teaching, so is suitable for a large swath of the gaming community.  There is a fair amount of take that, but it felt thematic and fun.  Glad I backed this one.  Even the in-laws will enjoy it!

In the last month or so my group has been on a Clank! In! Space! (Which must be said claaaaaank! Iiiiiiiinnnn! Spaaaaaace!) kick.  This one is a great take on the deck builder genre, and has fun push-your-luck mechanics with the clank bag; the louder you are running around, the more clank goes in the bag and the greater the chance the big bad guy attacks you.  I have heard this one improves on some of the weak points of the original, but can not confirm that, as this is the only version I’ve played to date.  One of my new favorites.

Last night I gave Dungeon Lords a go.  It was described to me as punishingly unforgiving of mistakes, which I can appreciate and enjoy in a game from time to time.  Making a little narrative for your villain and his cozy house full of traps and monsters as you go along was quite fun.  One other first time player had a particularly evil reputation, and attracted the attention of the Paladin, who conquered most of her lair.  It was an interesting balance of worker placement, resource management, and puzzle solving.  It probably won’t hit the table too often in my group, but I was a fan and look forward to giving it a proper shake down with a second playthrough in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

So last week I got to bring out Grimm Forest at the FLGS.  There was much oohing and aaahing over the component quality.  It is a light game that doesn’t require a ton of teaching, so is suitable for a large swath of the gaming community.  There is a fair amount of take that, but it felt thematic and fun.  Glad I backed this one.  Even the in-laws will enjoy it!

In the last month or so my group has been on a Clank! In! Space! (Which must be said claaaaaank! Iiiiiiiinnnn! Spaaaaaace!) kick.  This one is a great take on the deck builder genre, and has fun push-your-luck mechanics with the clank bag; the louder you are running around, the more clank goes in the bag and the greater the chance the big bad guy attacks you.  I have heard this one improves on some of the weak points of the original, but can not confirm that, as this is the only version I’ve played to date.  One of my new favorites.

Last night I gave Dungeon Lords a go.  It was described to me as punishingly unforgiving of mistakes, which I can appreciate and enjoy in a game from time to time.  Making a little narrative for your villain and his cozy house full of traps and monsters as you go along was quite fun.  One other first time player had a particularly evil reputation, and attracted the attention of the Paladin, who conquered most of her lair.  It was an interesting balance of worker placement, resource management, and puzzle solving.  It probably won’t hit the table too often in my group, but I was a fan and look forward to giving it a proper shake down with a second playthrough in the near future.

I got a shipping notice for Grimm, but heard that doesn't mean the delivery is around the corner.  They got all the shipping paperwork out of the way so that when the boat comes in, they can get the games out faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I got a shipping notice for Grimm, but heard that doesn't mean the delivery is around the corner.  They got all the shipping paperwork out of the way so that when the boat comes in, they can get the games out faster.

When it arrives, you’ll have some fun minis to paint. I’m interested to see your work on the dragon mini in particular, as it is a really cool model. The skin tones you’ve used developed for your massive darkness guys should work well on the little piggies too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LuckyIke said:

When it arrives, you’ll have some fun minis to paint. I’m interested to see your work on the dragon mini in particular, as it is a really cool model. The skin tones you’ve used developed for your massive darkness guys should work well on the little piggies too.

Ironically, I'm painting something that could be considered the big bad wolf as we speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

So last week I got to bring out Grimm Forest at the FLGS.  There was much oohing and aaahing over the component quality.  It is a light game that doesn’t require a ton of teaching, so is suitable for a large swath of the gaming community.  There is a fair amount of take that, but it felt thematic and fun.  Glad I backed this one.  Even the in-laws will enjoy it!

Guess what I just found on my front stoop?  Apparently the delivery service couldn't be bothered ringing the bell even though there is a big sign on my storm door to do just that.  So it's like a frozen brick.  I'm going to let it thaw a bit before I dig in.

The packaging looks awesome, and the minis look great.  Quite the departure from Massive Darkness.  I'm tempted to chuck the MD back into the box, and start painting these minis, but I'll wait until after Sunday when we will play it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad your game finally came in, Barb. I need to get back to painting minis soon. Been waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Glad your game finally came in, Barb. I need to get back to painting minis soon. Been waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

I have a card table set up in the middle of my living room, right in front of my fish tank.  There are a lot of perks when living alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished 3 games of Grimm Forest.  It was insanely cute and insanely cut throat.  Most common phrases were:

  • You as* ho*!
  • Are you f*ing kidding me?
  • I hate you so much right now.
  • OMG is this card is so cute

Worst  thing that happened to me: There were 16 wood sitting in the forest, so I played the giant on it.  Good thing I love Drew because he played a roar fable card.  Since we were both on the brick area, I had to shuffle my gather cards and pick one randomly and use that instead of the one I initially selected.  I picked the @#$%&* forest card, so I got hit by my own monster.  I lost all fable cards, my friend, and all my resources.  Basically cost me the game.

Here's Drew, my game, new playing mat surface, and scrap bin cocos:

image.png.6322faaf999065b7b33163e297fcecde.png

 

Our resident Canadian Jeremie.  Do they all look like this?

image.png.550aef051db817e9faaf4da659497447.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: I caught both J and Drew with a mouth full of Doritos...  They are normally not that surly looking :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Coyle said:

Yes, all Canadians look like J. Even the women have to grow sideburns to combat the winter cold.

Hummmm except the french canadians :):):) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great recap @Barb Bliss.  I agree it has a lot of take that, but the stakes feel low enough that it makes for quite silly fun.  I was all set to blow down someone’s wooden house with the big bad wolf, but before I know it they’ve been whisked away (by a roar I believe) leaving my poor wolf twiddling his thumbs with no one to huff and puff at.  It is fun and easy to teach!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LuckyIke said:

Great recap @Barb Bliss.  I agree it has a lot of take that, but the stakes feel low enough that it makes for quite silly fun.  I was all set to blow down someone’s wooden house with the big bad wolf, but before I know it they’ve been whisked away (by a roar I believe) leaving my poor wolf twiddling his thumbs with no one to huff and puff at.  It is fun and easy to teach!  

On all three games, at least 2 of 3 (one had 3 of 3) of us finished build 3 houses on the same turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barb Bliss said:

On all three games, at least 2 of 3 (one had 3 of 3) of us finished build 3 houses on the same turn.

Nice!  If you get the chance to play with four, the marketplace creates a whole new dynamic and the Fable cards fly fast and furiously.  It retained its balance, haven’t tried it with two and the “AI” prince dice yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

Nice!  If you get the chance to play with four, the marketplace creates a whole new dynamic and the Fable cards fly fast and furiously.  It retained its balance, haven’t tried it with two and the “AI” prince dice yet.

Our 4th lives 2 blocks from where the Super Bowl was going on.  Poor guy was land locked.  This game is right up Tracy's alley.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Our 4th lives 2 blocks from where the Super Bowl was going on.  Poor guy was land locked.

I’m an Eagles fan (and currently living on cloud nine - Super Bowl and CoCos on back to back days!), but my sister was the one there, working the game.  That Lucky duck, she kept sending me awesome pics.  That’s a great new stadium the Vikings have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LuckyIke said:

I’m an Eagles fan (and currently living on cloud nine - Super Bowl and CoCos on back to back days!), but my sister was the one there, working the game.  That Lucky duck, she kept sending me awesome pics.  That’s a great new stadium the Vikings have.

A lot of tax dollars, but much better than what it replaced.  I hope you're not one of those bad Eagles fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

A lot of tax dollars, but much better than what it replaced.  I hope you're not one of those bad Eagles fans.

I sure hope not.  No pole climbing, battery throwing, horse poop eating, or general debauchery for me.  There are a lot of very...enthusiastic...Eagles fans.  They’ve got passion, you can’t deny it.  I’m a little less wild in my fandom.  Now college basketball, that’s a different story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LuckyIke said:

I sure hope not.  No pole climbing, battery throwing, horse poop eating, or general debauchery for me.  There are a lot of very...enthusiastic...Eagles fans.  They’ve got passion, you can’t deny it.  I’m a little less wild in my fandom.  Now college basketball, that’s a different story!

That sounds like the MSU vs UM "non-rivalry".  Less wild versus "enthusiastic".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ian Coyle said:

Foles has more rings than McNabb and Cunningham combined!

That sounds like MSU compared to O$U/UM.  Since 2010 when divisions were introduced, MSU has 2 football B1G championships, O$U has 2, and UM has zip.  So MSU has just as many B1G championships as O$U and UM combined.  I won't hold that against O$U though as UM hasn't helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×