Zoxe

Broken Token Gloomhaven Organizer

We've talked about this in other threads.  I spent the better part of the weekend assembling my BT Gloomhaven Org, punching out all the tokens/tiles, and fitting everything back in the box.  Started Friday afternoon, finished with tray assembly on Saturday, let the glue cure overnight and then put it to use today.  My Gloomhaven copy was still in shrink wrap, and I think I have between 6 and 8 hrs invested in this project.

Side note:  Oh, that new boardgame smell.  Wow.

Question for those of you who also have this organizer - does yours sit above the top of the box?  I think it would fit flush but I have 3 character (white) tuck boxes that don't seem to fit anywhere.  I remember the guys at PAX unplugged talking about needing to handle your "active" characters separately but don't recall exactly what they said.

20180120_090156.jpg

20180121_143719.jpg

20180121_152331.jpg

20180121_152343.jpg

I broke down and ordered this, but I don't have it yet.  Seems awfully expensive, but the monster boxes were too tempting.

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I broke down and ordered this, but I don't have it yet.  Seems awfully expensive, but the monster boxes were too tempting.

Yes, the monster boxes and the player trays to stack and store everything between sessions is what really sold me.  It is very well designed, though. I think you'll enjoy it!

I put more pictures up here:  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2018/01/hot-off-desk-broken-token-gloomhaven.html

8 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Yes, the monster boxes and the player trays to stack and store everything between sessions is what really sold me.  It is very well designed, though. I think you'll enjoy it!

I put more pictures up here:  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2018/01/hot-off-desk-broken-token-gloomhaven.html

+1 for not gluing anything to the carpet.  What do you use for glue?

Edited by Barb Bliss

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

+1 for not gluing anything to the carpet.  What do you use for glue?

"Aleene's Original Wood Glue" - Found in the craft section of our local Meijer's.   Dad is/was a part time carpenter; I was actually looking for Elmer's wood glue (the stuff I grew up with) but they didn't have it and gave this a shot instead. So far so good.

Romy got this. It is very helpful. Without it, taking out and putting up the game would be a nightmare. Romy does keep a couple of the character tuck boxes separate cause they would not fit in the box with everything else. But the Broken Token is still a must with Gloomhaven. 

Zoxe, when following the directions exactly, everything for me fits smugly into the box but three tuck boxes. I just keep those on a shelf nearby for active players. For me, the lid fits well, barely (if at all) raised up over the edge of the box. 

• Thanks 1

Here is mine BT for Gloomhaven stained, but not with any items in them. Zenith and I recently put together the BT for Terriforming Mars. Love how the trays keep the cubes in place. I no longer have to worry about a cat bumping them and messing up by stuff. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Gloomhaven Broken Token.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A guy on Saturday brought Gloomhaven.  (it took them over an hour to set up!)  He found a storage solution on BGG that uses plastic boxes, and an accordion file.  A lot cheaper than Broken Token, but needs the accordion file.

It finally showed up.  Apparently it had to be delivered one street over first.  Now unfortunately it's too cold to stain in the garage.  Even with a space heater.

So I've been playing a solo round of Gloomhaven using the Broken Token organizer.

I don't mind having to store characters in the trays and folding the boxes down to make everything fit, though I see how that could bother people.

The first issue I have is that the character tuck boxes don't really fit well if you sleeve the cards.  That's disappointing to me.

The second is that the monster tuck boxes are a bit fiddly in terms of fitting all the standees inside them - especially the boss box seems hard to fit.

The third is that some of the trays are so low height, that I'm concerned about pieces staying in them when I'm travelling with the game.  Anyone have any experience/feedback on whether that's going to be an issue or not?

So far, only finished one scenario, but loving the game - but definitely think I may go with the "dice solution" rather than damage tokens going forward.  Those are definitely annoying to play around with constantly.

Also seeing how this is going to take some work to judge/get used to.  In the first room I thought "Ok.. this is going well.".

Ended up beating the scenario, but only barely.  Two of three characters would have exhausted if there had been another turn (played their last two cards to win the scenario including "loss" cards).

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

So I've been playing a solo round of Gloomhaven using the Broken Token organizer.

I don't mind having to store characters in the trays and folding the boxes down to make everything fit, though I see how that could bother people.

The first issue I have is that the character tuck boxes don't really fit well if you sleeve the cards.  That's disappointing to me.

The second is that the monster tuck boxes are a bit fiddly in terms of fitting all the standees inside them - especially the boss box seems hard to fit.

The third is that some of the trays are so low height, that I'm concerned about pieces staying in them when I'm travelling with the game.  Anyone have any experience/feedback on whether that's going to be an issue or not?

So far, only finished one scenario, but loving the game - but definitely think I may go with the "dice solution" rather than damage tokens going forward.  Those are definitely annoying to play around with constantly.

Also seeing how this is going to take some work to judge/get used to.  In the first room I thought "Ok.. this is going well.".

Ended up beating the scenario, but only barely.  Two of three characters would have exhausted if there had been another turn (played their last two cards to win the scenario including "loss" cards).

I'm debating whether or not to try the solo scenario before getting the broken token stained/glued/incorporated or not.

>> The first issue I have is that the character tuck boxes don't really fit well if you sleeve the cards.  That's disappointing to me.

Good info. I haven't sleeved mine yet, but was curious how that would go.  I'm worried about the red/monster tuck boxes and the additional thickness as well.  How did that work out??

>> I don't mind having to store characters in the trays and folding the boxes down to make everything fit, though I see how that could bother people.

Once we get playing and we pick our party, this won't be a big deal.  Since it's waiting for a rainy day behind our Kingdom Death campaign, currently the box sits a bit tall. Not a big deal.

>> The second is that the monster tuck boxes are a bit fiddly in terms of fitting all the standees inside them - especially the boss box seems hard to fit.

Yes. I had to carefully stack some of them.  Part of my problem was that I had the wrong monster profiles in the wrong boxes, but once corrected I still had to puzzle out how to get a couple of the boxes to work.  I only had one cardboard boss that didn't fit in a tuckbox.

No storage is perfect.  I've turned away from a lot of options for other games (Zombicide: Black Plague I'm looking at you) because I'm never exactly sure how well things will work out.  But I'm glad I got the BT option for Gloomhaven, at least so far.

41 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

>> The first issue I have is that the character tuck boxes don't really fit well if you sleeve the cards.  That's disappointing to me.

Good info. I haven't sleeved mine yet, but was curious how that would go.  I'm worried about the red/monster tuck boxes and the additional thickness as well.  How did that work out??

>> I don't mind having to store characters in the trays and folding the boxes down to make everything fit, though I see how that could bother people.

Once we get playing and we pick our party, this won't be a big deal.  Since it's waiting for a rainy day behind our Kingdom Death campaign, currently the box sits a bit tall. Not a big deal.

>> The second is that the monster tuck boxes are a bit fiddly in terms of fitting all the standees inside them - especially the boss box seems hard to fit.

Yes. I had to carefully stack some of them.  Part of my problem was that I had the wrong monster profiles in the wrong boxes, but once corrected I still had to puzzle out how to get a couple of the boxes to work.  I only had one cardboard boss that didn't fit in a tuckbox.

No storage is perfect.  I've turned away from a lot of options for other games (Zombicide: Black Plague I'm looking at you) because I'm never exactly sure how well things will work out.  But I'm glad I got the BT option for Gloomhaven, at least so far.

Yeah the dragon isn't intended to fit.  But it was still tough to fit the rest of the bosses in with sleeved cards (it does bulge slightly).

The others all worked fine with sleeved cards.. when you solved the puzzle of how to put them in.  You definitely can't just "toss them all in helter skelter.

And I agree.. I wouldn't want to try this game without an organizer of some kind.

With the tuck boxes for BT, it has taken some practice for me and my sister to learn the best method to get all the standees to fit in certain boxes. But they will fit without bulging. Our method is to stack the same kind then put them in sideways. (This also depends on the type of monsters). Then carefully slide another stack in sideways. I had to practice several times with the archers but I can now get them all in well.

Others than needing to be careful with putting monsters in boxes, all the packing up and pulling out of items works just find for me. I love using the BT.

Romy, I agree with the method of putting the standees in.  I just can't seem to figure out the right order for the Boss box though - it's the only one that bulges slightly.

With all of the different shapes it's a lot harder to figure out the 'order' to put them in.

Also - did you sleeve the cards?  If not that probably makes the slight bulge that I have.

Oh - and I love the organizer.. just wish things were ever so slightly larger / better instructions on organizing it.

I did leave the dragon out of the boss box. I think I have him in with the monster stats cards. I don't sleeve cards,  though I should have Love Letter, because some of those cards are showing their usage. 

I did a crappy but effective job of staining my BT yesterday (70 degrees out!!!).  Now I face the daunting task of gluing all these #$%&* pieces together.  Will I have the necessary patience?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I did a crappy but effective job of staining my BT yesterday (70 degrees out!!!).  Now I face the daunting task of gluing all these #$%&* pieces together.  Will I have the necessary patience?

Depends on how much gin you’ve got handy!

Edited by ElysianPeace
Autocorrect. Phones. Hatred

2 hours ago, ElysianPeace said:

Depends on how much gin you’ve got handy!

I've gotten the first 3 trays done so far.  Less nice on the patio today though.  60 with wind that picks up from time to time.  Fish maintenance guy is here now, so I had to take an intermission.  I don't see me finishing it up today though.

47 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I've gotten the first 3 trays done so far.  Less nice on the patio today though.  60 with wind that picks up from time to time.  Fish maintenance guy is here now, so I had to take an intermission.  I don't see me finishing it up today though.

Temps are starting to drop as the sun sets.  I got the big tray and the first 3 completed.  I should be able to get a lot more done tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Temps are starting to drop as the sun sets.  I got the big tray and the first 3 completed.  I should be able to get a lot more done tomorrow.

Woohoo! Sounds like some definite progress. 

Glad it is coming along, Barb. I think I spent 3-4 hours maybe putting mine together, using wood glue. I actually enjoyed the process, feeling it was like putting together wooden puzzles. 

On 4/28/2018 at 12:47 AM, RomyCat said:

Glad it is coming along, Barb. I think I spent 3-4 hours maybe putting mine together, using wood glue. I actually enjoyed the process, feeling it was like putting together wooden puzzles. 

I had a little more time in mine, but the first couple of trays had a really tight fit and I lost a lot of time.  The later trays went a LOT faster.