tgpumpkin

My cocos are coming!!!!!

@LuckyIke

Just a quick question for you. I also ordered and received a Wenge. It looks awesome, but the areas where they carved out the tiles, the sides, and the bottom seems really rough and not super smooth. This is contradictory to the canary wood set I also have. My question is, is that how yours is? (Comparing Wenge to Bolivian Rosewood) Is it because the wenge wood has larger grains and is not as smooth of a wood?

18 minutes ago, SilentBob said:

@LuckyIke

Just a quick question for you. I also ordered and received a Wenge. It looks awesome, but the areas where they carved out the tiles, the sides, and the bottom seems really rough and not super smooth. This is contradictory to the canary wood set I also have. My question is, is that how yours is? (Comparing Wenge to Bolivian Rosewood) Is it because the wenge wood has larger grains and is not as smooth of a wood?

Hey there @SilentBob, welcome to the forum!  

Yeah Wenge definitely has a more coarse grain, and my understanding is it very hard and prone to splintering in its raw form, which makes it difficult to work.  My CoCo isn’t splintery in its finished form, but it certainly has a coarser hand feel than my other CoCos.  This, however, further enhances its “sinister” appeal, in my opinion.  

The Bolivian Rosewood has one of the smoothest finishes of the DMG products I’ve felt, with other really smooth pieces including Redheart, Granadillo, and Ziricote.  The roughest piece I have is a Leopardwood card stand that was cross cut (sorry don’t know the technical woodworking term for the cut).  It looks super unique, but is quite rough.  Regularly cut leopardwood pieces are much smoother and present a different look.  So it can vary quite a bit even within the same species depending on the cut. With my Wenge CoCo I’d say the interior sides of the wells are the roughest, but it is just the nature of that wood.

@Konas wrote a log blog about Wenge a few months back.  It had info on the history of the wood as well as the shops’s experiences working it. 

Wenge Log Blog

Hope that helps!  Post some pictures of your CoCos when you get a chance, we all love seeing the different sets!

46 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

Yeah Wenge definitely has a more coarse grain, and my understanding is it very hard and prone to splintering in its raw form, which makes it difficult to work.  My CoCo isn’t splintery in its finished form, but it certainly has a coarser hand feel than my other CoCos.  This, however, further enhances its “sinister” appeal, in my opinion.  

The Bolivian Rosewood has one of the smoothest finishes of the DMG products I’ve felt, with other really smooth pieces including Redheart, Granadillo, and Ziricote.  The roughest piece I have is a Leopardwood card stand that was cross cut (sorry don’t know the technical woodworking term for the cut).  It looks super unique, but is quite rough.  Regularly cut leopardwood pieces are much smoother and present a different look.  So it can vary quite a bit even within the same species depending on the cut. With my Wenge CoCo I’d say the interior sides of the wells are the roughest, but it is just the nature of that wood.

@Konas wrote a log blog about Wenge a few months back.  It had info on the history of the wood as well as the shops’s experiences working it. 

Wenge Log Blog

Hope that helps!  Post some pictures of your CoCos when you get a chance, we all love seeing the different sets!

Awesome! Great information, I appreciate it!  And thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Going to read that forum post now.

2 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

Wenge Log Blog

Sinister appeal.  Nice. 

I prefer to think of my rosewood as silky smooth like freshly shaved  legs, and Ike's wenge as 5 o'clock shadow.

16 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Sinister appeal.  Nice. 

I prefer to think of my rosewood as silky smooth like freshly shaved  legs, and Ike's wenge as 5 o'clock shadow.

In that case boco is like peach fuzz! A little more texture but still soft. Redheart is almost as silky smooth as rosewood, but maybe like when you use a slightly less moisturizing shaving cream. 

3 minutes ago, ElysianPeace said:

In that case boco is like peach fuzz! A little more texture but still soft. Redheart is almost as silky smooth as rosewood, but maybe like when you use a slightly less moisturizing shaving cream. 

OK, now I want to stop working and start fondling wood.

42 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Sinister appeal.  Nice. 

Much to my wife’s chagrin, I’m usually rocking a five o’clock shadow by noon or so, so Wenge is an appropriate one for me. 

Just now, LuckyIke said:

Much to my wife’s chagrin, I’m usually rocking a five o’clock shadow by noon or so, so Wenge is an appropriate one for me. 

You reminded me of an old "The Simpsons".  Homer shaves, and says "Soft as a babies bottom."  As he turns around, the stubble reappears.

1 minute ago, LuckyIke said:

Yay!!! Merry CoCoday!

My post person usually doesn't make it around my house until 4 pm.  A long time to wait.

22 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My post person usually doesn't make it around my house until 4 pm.  A long time to wait.

But by 4:10 then you should be happily fondling BoRo.

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

But by 4:10 then you should be happily fondling BoRo.

It will probably take me that long just to unwrap the box :-)

5 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

@Barb Bliss the wrap job inside was exceptionally well done.  One of the best I’ve ever seen.  Outstanding.  I do hope you don’t have the same box issues as I did.  

My working theory is that some postman in the Detroit hub is a CoCo backer in the high 2,000s, and is taking his lack of patience out on us.

2 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

My working theory is that some postman in the Detroit hub is a CoCo backer in the high 2,000s, and is taking his lack of patience out on us.

Here I just thought it was frustrated Walverines targeting OSU and MSU fans.

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

Yeah - so far I seem to be the only person whose box hasn't looked like it's been drop kicked and run over.

We are working on RFPs from other shipping companies. This is shocking to me.