Adam

Christmas Hauls

Hello again all! I've been a bit absent as the holidays were CRAZY for me. That being said, and with the holidays in mind, I figured I'd post the following...

Wondering if anyone else acquired new games for Christmas this year.

I received, Charterstone and Nusfjord. I also as a gift to myself ordered The Gallerist.

I also participated in the BGG Secret Santa exchange this year, and I received Le Havre, Lords of Waterdeep and Coup.

All in all I was very fortunate this year and thankful for all the great gifts.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else got. Happy New Year to everyone!

• Like 1

I've acquired Trut, Beelzepug, Ember and Stone Daze. But Centaury saga, Covil and Dwar7s Fall were delayed on the big holidays delivery, hope to get them in a few days. :) 

• Like 1

Adam, I did BGG Secret Santa also. It was my first time. I was given Photosynthesis, Hive Pocket,  T.I.M.E. Stories, Istanbul Letters & Seals, and Battle Con: Trials of Indines. I really had a fun time with Secret Santa. Mine first sent me a series of clues where I tried  figuring out what was coming. 

BGG Santa teasing link: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/232860/item/5776422#item5776422

For Christmas itself, I gave myself Cottage Garden. I loved that it had cats in it. My sister gave me six cool meeples from Meeple Source (I have growing collection of their awesome character meeples now). Charaterstone came in near Christmas, so I guess I can claim that as a gift to myself too.

My sister got a nice haul of games, but I will let her post that herself (I gave her a lot of games). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Adam, I did BGG Secret Santa also. It was my first time. I was given Photosynthesis, Hive Pocket,  T.I.M.E. Stories, Istanbul Letters & Seals, and Battle Con: Trials of Indines. I really had a fun time with Secret Santa. Mine first sent me a series of clues where I tried  figuring out what was coming. 

BGG Santa teasing link: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/232860/item/5776422#item5776422

For Christmas itself, I gave myself Cottage Garden. I loved that it had cats in it. My sister gave me six cool meeples from Meeple Source (I have growing collection of their awesome character meeples now). Charaterstone came in near Christmas, so I guess I can claim that as a gift to myself too.

My sister got a nice haul of games, but I will let her post that herself (I gave her a lot of games). 

It was my first time doing the Secret Santa, and I will definitely participate again this year. I had a fairly quiet Santa throughout the process, but he revealed himself with address label on my delivery so I was able to reach out, and we've exchanged some good messages since. Great group of games you got from your Santa. I keep hearing about Photosynthesis, and I think that one is going to find its way into my collection soon. I also have Cottage Garden on my wishlist, is that one as good as it seems?

I don't actually have Charterstone in hand yet, I received a duplicate of Viticulture, and my exchange on that was for Charterstone.

I really like Cottage Garden. It is a light, easy to play game that using cats as "wilds" for filling in garden squares. My sister got A Feast for Odin for Christmas. It uses the same mechanics as Cottage Garden and Patchwork, but is a much heavier game with a strong Viking theme.  All three games are designed by famous Uwe Rosenberg (he also did Agricola). We both love A Feast for Odin with its many options for points and fun theme. 

It depending on if you want a fast 2 player game (Patchwork), a fun, cute game for up to 4 players (Cottage Garden), or a serious game with exploring, raiding, and harvesting (A Feast for Odin).  I enjoy all three of the games.

Posted (edited)

Santa brought me the the Dropfleet Commander Space Station set, which is an addon to the DFC core set I got at GenCon.  Unfortunately I haven't opened the core box while I work on Kingdom Death.  Stock box picture of the set is below (NOT MY MODELS).

Santa also brought the Broken Token organizer for Gloomhaven. I just grabbed the wood glue at the store this week but haven't sat down to assemble it.  There are so many pieces that it's almost as intimidating as the game itself!

Santa Brought Mrs. Zoxe Arcadia Quest and the AQ: Pets expansion.  First run throughs were a lot of fun; I expected a Super Dungeon Explore clone but it stands on its own.  We normally go for coop games so the competitive nature of it may not be great for 1:1 play, but I can definitely see it being something we can teach my immediate family and enjoy over a few drinks and a bag of chips and salsa (I'm hungry as I type, haha).

Modular_Space_Station_Pack_IMG1_800x.jpg

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 1

Santa was really good to me this year.

Magic Maze, Terraforming Mars promo card and 3D cities, A Feast of Odin, Burgle Bros., Kingdomino, Christmas Tree: The Decorating, Rocky Road a la Mode, One Deck Dungeon, Carcassonne: Abby & Mayor,  Fresco, Tsuro of the Seas, 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon, 7 Wonders Duel: The Messe Essen , Codenames Duet.

Most were from Romycat as she knows if she gives them to me she gets to play them whenever she wants :P and she knows I will enjoy them too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I ended up with Beelzepug and Unstable Unicorns from Kickstarter, plus I got a couple old school games as gifts, Labyrinth and Dominion:Hinterlands. We also got Codenames:Disney and What do you Meme? to play with larger groups.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I really like Cottage Garden. It is a light, easy to play game that using cats as "wilds" for filling in garden squares. My sister got A Feast for Odin for Christmas. It uses the same mechanics as Cottage Garden and Patchwork, but is a much heavier game with a strong Viking theme.  All three games are designed by famous Uwe Rosenberg (he also did Agricola). We both love A Feast for Odin with its many options for points and fun theme. 

It depending on if you want a fast 2 player game (Patchwork), a fun, cute game for up to 4 players (Cottage Garden), or a serious game with exploring, raiding, and harvesting (A Feast for Odin).  I enjoy all three of the games.

A Feast for Odin is on my list. I do already have Patchwork and I like that one a lot. I've been on a Rosenberg kick lately as I got Le Havre for Christmas and I've been playing a lot of Caverna lately. Cottage Garden is a likely pickup for me at some point I think.

5 minutes ago, Ian Coyle said:

What do you Meme

Somehow I overlooked this one. I did get this too, and got a couple plays in while my sister in law was in town. I had a good time with it, and we had some pretty good captions.

12 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

Santa was really good to me this year.

Magic Maze, Terraforming Mars promo card and 3D cities, A Feast of Odin, Burgle Bros., Kingdomino, Christmas Tree: The Decorating, Rocky Road a la Mode, One Deck Dungeon, Carcassonne: Abby & Mayor,  Fresco, Tsuro of the Seas, 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon, 7 Wonders Duel: The Messe Essen , Codenames Duet.

Most were from Romycat as she knows if she gives them to me she gets to play them whenever she wants :P and she knows I will enjoy them too.

You were clearly good last year to acquire such a trove!

• Thanks 2

Zoxe, I have the Broken Token for Gloomhaven also, but I had to buy it myself. Its VERY helpful in setting up the game.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Zoxe, I have the Broken Token for Gloomhaven also, but I had to buy it myself. Its VERY helpful in setting up the game.

I'm glad to hear you say this - that's why we got it.  Santa actually bought it at the Broken Token booth at PAX Unplugged so this wasn't a surprise.  We saw it at the show on Friday, but we walked away due to the cost.  Came back later and got a full demo of it and that's when Santa decided she needed to intervene.  :)

We enjoy big sprawling games, but the setup kills me. I have  a lot of Shadows of Brimstone, but every storage solution I've attempted has been outgrown and outgrown again and that's a detriment to actually playing it.

Mrs Ike went above and beyond this Christmas, and my haul was quite bountiful.  I received Otys, Star Wars: Rebellion, Potion Explosion, Kanagawa, Final Act, and Ticket to Ride: Rails and Sails. Ticket to Ride really puts the ‘ole card stands to work.  

The Mrs was the happy recipient of a beautiful leopardwood dice chest and a Redheart Dragon Sleeve, both of which she will use for her jewelry. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I went with the Daedalus insert for Gloomhaven, which is quite nice looking, but wooo was it ever a pain to glue together!  I generally find the Broken Token inserts much easier to assemble.  Almost all of the inserts and trays for Terraforming Mars were so well cut they friction fit with no/minimal glue.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:26 AM, LuckyIke said:

I went with the Daedalus insert for Gloomhaven, which is quite nice looking, but wooo was it ever a pain to glue together!  I generally find the Broken Token inserts much easier to assemble.  Almost all of the inserts and trays for Terraforming Mars were so well cut they friction fit with no/minimal glue.

I went with the baggie route.  Slide into the bad.  Dump out of the bag into a container (when will I get my coco????).

On 1/6/2018 at 10:26 AM, LuckyIke said:

@LuckyIke Do you find the insert for Terraforming Mars to be a big help? I've seen a lot of people comment on having it for a storage solution, but I don't find the baggie route to be overly annoying for this game.

15 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

With the order, the Centaury saga games were'nt in the box. Probably sent in two boxes.

It will be by the end of the month, no problem 'cause they have lot of pieces who need some CoCo lol :)

8 hours ago, Adam said:

@LuckyIke Do you find the insert for Terraforming Mars to be a big help? I've seen a lot of people comment on having it for a storage solution, but I don't find the baggie route to be overly annoying for this game.

@Adam I had used some of the little plastic geek boxes from BGG to store everything, and liked it just fine.  But one day, my buddy showed me his Broken Token set and I was enamoured.  Thoughts:

- Super easy to assemble; as I said, I was really impressed by the precision cutting on my set.  I used very little glue, most just snaps together and friction fits.

-The part I like the best is the replacement trays for the player boards.  They keep everything locked in place and stack so tidily that the player cubes remain on their board while stored.  

- Additionally, I found the card shoe to be well designed, and it comfortably holds everything, including Venus Next, with sleeves.

- I have a set of 3D-printed city tiles, and they fit comfortably in the extra nooks and crannies - there’s a little box for a first player marker I use to hold most of them.  

- The expansion board will raise the lid a few mm, but is easy enough to carry along separately if you prefer a flush fit.

• Like 1

PS - I forgot it also includes two trays to hold the city/forest tiles and resource cubes, which was a nice touch as everything is in easy reach of all players.  However, I can’t wait to put some round CoCo wells to use!! Smoothest cube grabbing action I’ll ever have experienced!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I gave my sister the Broken Token for Terraforming Mars for Christmas but not have time to put it together yet. Must buy stain for it first--maybe go with a redish brown to fit the theme.

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

I gave my sister the Broken Token for Terraforming Mars for Christmas but not have time to put it together yet. Must buy stain for it first--maybe go with a redish brown to fit the theme.

Nice, it will look really sharp with a stain. I kept mine nude, mostly out of laziness, I must admit.

Edited by LuckyIke
  • Haha 1