Sign in to follow this  
Barb Bliss

Stupid Questions

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

if Steinbeck had traveled to St Paul, he would have gotten lost.  It makes Detroit seem easy to drive around.

I think he got lost there, too. He's all over the place in this portion, on the wrong side of the Mississippi every time. A waitress and a cook at a diner he found made fun of him for it. The whole book is just about him traversing America with his dog. (Which is obviously why I'm reading it - because there's a dog. The last two books I read were also dog books. Can't! Stop! Me! Nowwwww!)

3 minutes ago, Zoe said:

I think he got lost there, too. He's all over the place in this portion, on the wrong side of the Mississippi every time. A waitress and a cook at a diner he found made fun of him for it. The whole book is just about him traversing America with his dog. (Which is obviously why I'm reading it - because there's a dog. The last two books I read were also dog books. Can't! Stop! Me! Nowwwww!)

When I first moved out here, I got an apartment in a St Paul suburb.  My parents came out with me to check the area out, get me set up with a bank, get a decent apartment that wasn't to expensive, etc.  Before they left, we wanted to go out to dinner at a nice place.  The lady at the bank suggested we needed to go to this particular place in downtown St Paul.  It was an old mansion turned into a restaurant.  Sounded neat.  It's a journey I'll probably remember until my dying day.  Our first mistake was taking 280 south to get to 94 east.  Turns out, at that time anyway, you could only get onto west 94.  Once we realized our mistake, we tried to get off the freeway and then get back on going in the other direction.  Unfortunately you could get off, but you couldn't get back on.  Queue the Benny Hill music while we tried to get back onto 94 going east.  We exited on the street the nice bank lady had told us about.  Then we got all swirled around with one ways, and do not turn signs.  Reprise Benny Hill music.  I could see the hair on the back of my dad's neck start to stand up.  Mom wanted to ask for directions, and he didn't.  Finally he stopped, I think just to shut her up.  She rolls down the window (a sign of how old I am) and my dad blurts out "How the 'heck' do we get to Exchange Street?"  To which the man replies, you're on Exchange Street.  At this point my mom loses it laughing.  Then I lost it laughing.  The man was nice enough to let us know he was just about to get in his car, and we could follow him if we'd like.  Anyhoo, we had a nice and unforgettable  dinner (another story).

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Minneapolis is south of St Cloud.  :-)  You must have watch a bunch of Fargo stuff.  They are always getting the directions messed up.

Really? lol.  I always viewed Minneapolis as being as 'up there' considering I was in NE :) .  Besides @Barb Bliss we all know that people view all states in the plains as "the middle" and all cities are generally lumped in the same area from all of those states :) .  You know how many times people have confused me with being in Kansas or South Dakota when I was out there?

I kind of miss being on the 'grid' though (by grid, I mean how all streets are aligned to N,S,E,W).  It took quite some getting used to people talking in compass directions rather than landmarks when I moved out there a while back.  I could almost always count on the streets pointing in a specific compass direction though.

4 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Really? lol.  I always viewed Minneapolis as being as 'up there' considering I was in NE :) .  Besides @Barb Bliss we all know that people view all states in the plains as "the middle" and all cities are generally lumped in the same area from all of those states :) .  You know how many times people have confused me with being in Kansas or South Dakota when I was out there?

I kind of miss being on the 'grid' though (by grid, I mean how all streets are aligned to N,S,E,W).  It took quite some getting used to people talking in compass directions rather than landmarks when I moved out there a while back.  I could almost always count on the streets pointing in a specific compass direction though.

I'm in NE Minneapolis, or Nordeast to the locals.  We have a grid, but it's 90 degrees tilted, and instead of 1st, 2nd, etc you have the presidents listed in order, starting with Washington (though you have to be careful as there is a Washington Ave and a Washington St.)  I'm on Benjamin Street NE

Edited by Barb Bliss

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm in NE Minneapolis, or Nordeast to the locals.  We have a grid, but it's 90 degrees tilted, and instead of 1st, 2nd, etc you have the presidents listed in order, starting with Washington (though you have to be careful as there is a Washington Ave and a Washington St.)  I'm on Benjamin Street NE

I once lived in a town that had an intersection of N East Street and E North Street.  Not confusing at all...

• Haha 1

Just now, LuckyIke said:

I once lived in a town that had an intersection of N East Street and E North Street.  Not confusing at all...

Rochester is broken up into quads.  Each quad has a 2 letter designation.  So the city has 1st Ave NE, NW, SE, and SW.  So if you don't include the direction letters, you're about 100% sure to get it mis-delivered.

9 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

If you think that's confusing - try living in Atlanta.

Peachtree Street, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Circle, West Peachtree Street, North Peachtree Ave....

you get the idea.

2 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

It's not my problem at home, less than 20 streets. :) 

28238604_1629933897062595_1560070558020785577_o.thumb.jpg.28e788a64de8abb61330f0c176bffaad.jpg

LOL  Dang.  You could be thoroughly screwed without a flash light.  Or do Canadian say torch?

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

LOL  Dang.  You could be thoroughly screwed without a flash light.  Or do Canadian say torch?

We say both, using english from UK and USA. lol

2 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

We say both, using english from UK and USA. lol

Is that considered good diversity?

It's also a reason why some singer or group launch their single in Québec first, to test it and give them a kind of worldwild opinion.

4 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

Most cities in Utah are laid out by strict grid, so your address might be 785 N 800 East

Look what my wife got me for my birthday.  I’ll have to wait a bit but it’s still kick ass.  As you can see, this persona is a way of life ;) 

17FD6D12-2EDB-4FE9-B5C4-2EBA0B7D9EF4.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

Look what my wife got me for my birthday.  I’ll have to wait a bit but it’s still kick ass.  As you can see, this persona is a way of life ;) 

17FD6D12-2EDB-4FE9-B5C4-2EBA0B7D9EF4.jpeg

Nice.  Maybe you can meet our Pittsburgh member while you are there.  I want to say Thomas, but his just a guess.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Nice.  Maybe you can meet our Pittsburgh member while you are there.  I want to say Thomas, but his just a guess.

You are correct I am in Pittsburgh.  But I'm surprised that @tgpumpkin would voluntarily go to see anyone who promotes pumpkin violence!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

You are correct I am in Pittsburgh.  But I'm surprised that @tgpumpkin would voluntarily go to see anyone who promotes pumpkin violence!

He’s been quoted that there is no meaning behind the name.  I think there are plenty of band names out there that the meaning of their name is not promoting the title.  I mean are foo fighters really fighters who endorse fighting?    

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

He’s been quoted that there is no meaning behind the name.  I think there are plenty of band names out there that the meaning of their name is not promoting the title.  I mean are foo fighters really fighters who endorse fighting?    

Only against foos :D

I'm going to see Elton John next Jan. in Portland. He was one of my dad's favorites (mine too) so I had to see him before he stops touring.

12 minutes ago, Ian Coyle said:

I'm going to see Elton John next Jan. in Portland. He was one of my dad's favorites (mine too) so I had to see him before he stops touring.

Yeah - I was upset when they did the 'presale' in Pittsburgh... and I didn't get in on it.. and then when they 'opened to the public' everything had already been sold out in the presale. :(

6 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Yeah - I was upset when they did the 'presale' in Pittsburgh... and I didn't get in on it.. and then when they 'opened to the public' everything had already been sold out in the presale. :(

AMEX customers get early access which is how I got my tickets. Bought them during the pre-sale. I hate that ticket reselling has been embraced by the venues and promoters, end up with people buying tickets specifically to resell them at a profit. The fans are the ones who lose out.

2 minutes ago, Ian Coyle said:

AMEX customers get early access which is how I got my tickets. Bought them during the pre-sale. I hate that ticket reselling has been embraced by the venues and promoters, end up with people buying tickets specifically to resell them at a profit. The fans are the ones who lose out.

I'm more upset that basically ticketmaster made the 'presale' a lottery.  And still listed it as a presale.  When in fact they sold all the tickets during that time, so there was no 'open sale'.  Everything was presale, and lottery by their choice, not by 'you were faster so you got a ticket'.

If Ticketmaster didn't choose to invite you, you had no chance.